Based in New Zealand, Manta5 was founded in 2011 by Guy Howard-Willis and brought to life by bike designer Roland Alonzo, both passionate and committed cyclists.
The distinct lack of options for a would-be water cyclist had long played on Guy’s mind, until one day he swapped wondering for action.
HIGH PERFORMANCE SECRET
The original design brief presented no easy feat. Just as a high-performance bicycle, the pair envisioned a concept that was lightweight, fast, agile, easy to transport and assemble. On top of this, the rider would need to launch from the beach, jetties or from deep water, without settling for any existing bulky buoyancy or hulls.
The early human-powered prototypes revealed a vast number of subtle complexities, especially the hydrofoils and propeller profiles, and their position relative to each other. With no real precedent to draw on, the successful equation for a ‘submerged launch’ continually eluded them.
A design-thinking approach with low-res prototyping allowed for quick iterations, paramount to achieving the optimal balance between maximum lift and thrust at low speed, whilst minimising drag at top speed. The team knew they had developed something special when the submerged launch from deep water was achieved – a world first and proof-of-concept.
Manta5’s profile exploded internationally when their prototype won Gold in the Concept Category at the 2017 Best Awards. The video submission was picked up by media companies the world over. The exposure resulted in 350+ million video views on Facebook alone.
Off the back of the hype around the world the Manta5 team has grown considerably. Today the team is set to produce the first production bike – the Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1 for release early 2020.
Guy Howard-Willis discusses the journey to create the Hydrofoil Bike at Tedx Ruakura, New Zealand, 2018.
CARBON FIBRE FOILS
This combination is impeccably tuned. Striking a perfect balance between stability and maneuverability in all types of water-terrain.
- Foil tip design minimises drag and extends effective wingspan
- Rear wingspan measures 6.5ft. Front wing, 4ft
- General purpose foils. Suitable for lakes, rivers, and the ocean
- Modular design for easy assembly and in-car transport
YOUR RIDE, CONNECTED.
All Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1’s come standard with the GARMIN® eBike Remote. Rugged, compact and lightweight and effectively cycle between the 7 levels of motor assistance. In addition, all Manta5 customers are to be issued with a 20% GARMIN discount code to purchase the fēnix 5 or fēnix 6 Smartwatch to make use of Manta5′ free Datafields on the Connect IQ Store.
RIDERS CAN TRACK
- Ride time
- Heart rate
- Battery charge level
- Electric assist level
ELECTRIC MOTOR & BATTERY
Clever technology. Ultra simple to use. This waterproof duo is designed to push the limits of what’s possible on water. The motor has proven resilient against rigorous maritime tests yet produces no more than a quiet hum and inflicts zero harm on the environment. Read more about our use of an electric assist motor.
- Fully submersible IPX8 rated battery housing system.
- Easy access charging connector with a 4 hour charge time
- IPX8 rated electric motor
- 460 watts of pedal assist power
- Up to 60 minutes of continuous ride time on maximum assist level. Please note, estimated battery run time may vary depending on the weight of the rider, weather conditions, and level of assist.
[us_image image=”7762″ size=”full”]
CHASSIS & GEARS
In addition to being resilient against saltwater and corrosion, the Hydrofoiler’s frame and gears are packed full of ingenious design details that stay true to the simplicity of a beautifully crafted bike.
- Aircraft grade TIG welded 6061-T6 aluminium frame
- Hybrid drivetrain with industry standard components for easy replacement
- Buoyancy modules designed to streamline the Hydrofoiler both above and below water
- Easy maintenance crank-set sub-assembly, gearbox sub-assembly, and the propeller/shaft sub-assembly
[us_image image=”7763″ size=”full”]